Distance

 Families come from all different kinds of backgrounds. A lot of times parents make great sacrifices that are for their family but can also create distance and takes huge tolls on all members of the family. This week we read an article of a family who dreamed of coming to the US to create a better opportunity for their children. They planned on the Father going to America for six month to work and then have the family join him. It ended up taking 3 years for the family to save up enough for the huge journey. In that three years the family dynamics changed and they got used to living apart. When the family was finally back together it took time and work to create those strong family bonds again. Many families go through experience like this everyday. An experience my family has is similar in some ways but also very different. when I was 11 years old my family lost our job, house, and car. We were living in Idaho at the time and my dad got an opportunity to move to Ohio to work and we took it. We only had enough money for my dad to go so he moved to Ohio alone. He started working at a roofing company and started at the bottom, door to door sales. For a year he worked Ohio and thankfully he was able to come and visit us every 6-8 weeks for a weekend. It didn't hit me for a long time the amazing sacrifice my dad made for our family. Leaving us and working door to door everyday is hard and very discouraging. He worked so hard and thankfully we were blessed and able to join him after a year. We all moved to Ohio in the summer and were so excited to be back together. I don't remember having any big issues or problems as a family coming back together but it always hard switching schools and going to a new state in general. My family still lives in Ohio today and my dad is the top salesman for that same roofing company. In all I think this helped bring my family closer together. I wouldn't want anyone to have to go through it but I was able to come closer to my mom and became her little helper when it came to grocery shopping and even some Christmas shopping that year my dad was in Ohio. My mom also made sacrifices by having a few different part time jobs and working while we were still at home. She showed me a great example of working hard and supporting her husband with a job across the country. In this time I also grew closer to my siblings and they are my best friends. My dad is definitely my hero and he has shown me such a great example of working incredibly hard giving your all for your family. 

Comments